Monday, February 8, 2010

simple stir-fry

There has been a lot of impromptu meals around here lately that include me eating solo due to Robby's work schedule. (boo) To make a sincere effort to stop taking advantage of Little Luzzos Pizza across the street, I've been making a lot of stir-fry. I forgot just how much I enjoy stir fry until this month. It is healthy, delicious, and comes together SO fast. (It only took me 7 minutes the other night!) What has worked out nicely for me is to take 10 minutes when I get home from the market and cut vegetables, followed by putting them in zipper bags. Then it becomes super easy to incorporate veggies into meals on a regular basis...especially stir-fry. I also appreciate the creativity that comes with making a dish like this. Swapping ingredients in and out, depending on what you have on hand can make for fantastic variation and a recipe that you will never get tired of.

Simple Stir-fry
...........................................
Yield: 1-2 servings

1-2 chicken breasts, sliced thin
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon peanut or sesame oil
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, julienne
1/4 cup green bell pepper, julienne
1/2 cup snow peas, sliced thin
1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
2 tablespoons Asian sweet chili sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 cup baby bok choy, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup mandarin oranges, peeled & segmented
1/4 cup green onions, thinly slice on a diagnol

Place chicken strips in a medium size bowl. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss with cornstarch to coat. Heat oil in large non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger, stir 30 seconds. Add chicken; stir fry until chicken is beginning to brown an is almost cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Add bell peppers, snow peas and onion; toss for 1 minute. Add sweet chili sauce, soy sauce and rice vinegar; boil until sauce thickens slightly, tossing to blend, about 1 minute. Stir in bok choy, mandarin oranges, and scallions. Stir-fry just until bok choy is just wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dish and top with remaining green onions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I have one question, (it's a dumb one) how do you use bok choy? I've seen it at the store but don't know what to do with it! How do you cut it? Do you use just the leaves? I'm lost! :)

Anshika said...

I love these stir fry veggies

Julie E. said...

Kelsey, your pictures are beautiful! We'll have to add some stir fry to our lineup for next week.

Lisa Campbell said...

So, I made this recipe the other day and really loved it! It's going to be have to be one of my new regulars. The sweet chili sauce made it so much better and more flavorful than your average teriyaki stir fry. I love bok choy too, so it was great to have an excuse to buy it. Thanks Kelsey!